Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

Motivating High School Students...oh the struggle

OK so this post may be more a rant/vent session than anything but my frustration level has been reaching an all time high lately due mostly impart to students feeling this sense of "I don't care" or "what do I have to do to pass" attitude! Now don't get me wrong those that are motivated and at least not negative about coming to school these days I am eternally grateful for but the majority are about to have me pulling my hair out (notice I said about).

Now as I spend my downtime searching Pinterest (as I hope most other females do because it's AWESOME) I find myself wishing I taught younger students just so I could utilize all the cute and fun stuff they often do! I have one class of 8th grade students and the motivation difference one year can make would astound you but little kids get excited about everything! They want to please you and please their parents still (I am sure some of you elementary teachers are ready to throw the book at me lol) and I am longing for something to help bring this into my high school students. So behold I give me my latest attempt....

Homeworkopoly!!! 


 Now I have put a considerable time into this and when I say considerable I mean like more than I have ever worked on a bulletin board before in my life and more than anyone ever should! Thus my desire to post this onto the Teachers Pay Teachers website. Now this bulletin board is one I plan to leave up for quite a while and use as a reward system for my classes. Each week the plan is that we will set a goal for the class to achieve and when they meet or exceed this goal they earn a chance to roll the dice and move their piece around the board. Where ever their piece should land will be the reward or incentive for that week/section. I used several suggestions from my own students and I assure you they are PUMPED about starting this in January. You can purchase this item by clicking the Homeworkopoly link above which will take you to my TpT sight where you can purchase your own ready to laminate and display bulletin board (as if you don't already have enough to do this Christmas Break)! I will let everyone know in January how it's going. What do you use to help motivate your high school students?  Until then enjoy your time off  and Merry Christmas!   

No comments:

Post a Comment