Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The problem with so many questions

I know the old saying of there is never a dumb question but I think we are all willing to admit sometimes there are some questions that are not so... well intelligent. I struggle with this in my classes because I enjoy sharing personal experiences about the topic of discussion which leads to student sharing which I love don't get me wrong but its not those raised hands that are my problem. I nearly want to scream every time a student asks me to repeat instructions or something I just finished saying due to their lack of concentration and desire to pay attention. So while at the DuPont National Agriscience Teacher Ambassador Academy we were all introduced to the GENIUS idea of question cards. 
 
These are my question cards
 Now these simple little cards are nothing more than a little clip art man printed, glued to a note card and laminated but how ever you chose to make them they are magical!! I have one class in particular that drives me nuts with silly questions about things that can be found by simple reading their directions or listening. So depending upon the difficulty of the lesson I hand out 1-3 question cards. After we go over the activity together and answer any obvious questions I say "question cards now" and the students know that from that point forward if they want to ask a question of me it will cost them one question card. Like a ticket at the movie I simply pick up the card as I answer the question. Some students never use any question cards and some lose them all in 5 minutes. Now you may be thinking don't you want them to question things, don't you want them to be clear about what they are doing, how can you not answer their questions,? Yes, yes, and easy I force them to THINK! I give them the chance to be sure they want to use their card before I answer and I always allow them to discuss with their neighbors to find the correct answer. More times than not the students at a table will work together to determine if they want to use the card or not and if they do use it everyone within ear shot will be listening and listening closely! I love love love these things because as you can imagine students not only work together better but they listen very closely when I speak because it may save them from using one of their own cards. I highly suggest these as an addition to your classroom management toolbox for sure! What ideas or tricks do you have for weeding out the unnecessary questions and encouraging independent work?  

No comments:

Post a Comment