Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Just trust me

I know, I know, agriculture teachers have no summer so why would you want to give up another week for another professional development? Trust me when I say this one is different. The National Agriscience Teacher Ambassador Program is unlike any training I have ever been to (I am sure some of you veteran teachers are chuckling at the thought of just how many training's I could have possibly been to). Through the National Association of Agriculture Educators you can find the applications which are due DECEMBER 16th that's nearly a month to talk it over with your spouse, babysitter, mother-in-law, principal or whoever you need to talk to to help reassure yourself that this is a meaningful week that you will not for one minute feel has been a waste of your time. DuPont sponsors you from the time you arrive at the airport until you arrive home and spoil you with some of the best food and views in the Delaware area! From the moment you step foot onto the farm you are surrounded by other agriculture teachers and leaders who want you to get the absolute most out of every minute you are there. 
 So we have all heard this buzz word "inquiry based learning" well if you were like me it was nothing more than just that, a word. I knew that I had experienced several trainings that claimed to explain this foreign concept but I still was totally clueless. Through extensive hands-on training and exploration into what it was like to be an inquiry based learner I have new respect for this infamous word. I have taken the MASSIVE toolkit of skills, tips and tricks I learned while there home and transformed my classroom little by little. From utilizing stamps to cut back on my own grading to changing up lessons that where tried and true I have become a better teacher because of this experience! 
 Not only do you get to go home and change the way your students learn but you are also part of a team that works to present other agriculture teachers with ways they can utilize inquiry based learning as well. Through presentation of  workshops at National FFA Convention and at the NAAE Convention (which just so happens to be in Las Vegas this year) you help to spread the word about inquiry based learning. 
 If you are thinking this is not for you or that you are past the point of changing things in your classroom or program please please please think again! There where teachers like myself there who are still new, to veteran teachers who are mere years from retirement. This program has something tremendous to offer everyone and I am incredibly thankful I was awarded the opportunity. If you have questions about this program I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have or you can always check out the NAAE website. 
This one week will change the rest of your teaching career. TRUST ME. 
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment